Saturday 29 September 2007

Glamour interviews America Ferrera


Glamour Asks America Ferrera What It's Like To Be Fat

How in the world is America Ferrera making it in Hollywood despite not being white or thin? That is the question Glamour seeks to answer in their latest issue. Sure they call her a bombshell and praise her for being the actress women love, but they also photoshopped the fat out from under her arms, gave her a hip and breast reduction and tanned that hide. As witnessed by the comparison at right to a recent file photo snapped in August.So we decided to translate some of the more interesting parts of the interview to reveal what’s really being said. Join us while we read between Glamour’s lines:


GLAMOUR: So 11 Emmy nominations for Ugly Betty, two new films in the works. You’re huge!
[Translation: How can you be successful? You’re huge!]

AMERICA FERRERA: What’s crazy is that when opportunities to work come along, they are countered by just as many opportunities to piss it all away. Thank God I’m too busy to say yes.
[Translation: Thank God I’m too Latin to pull a Lindsay Lohan.]
AF: If this is my chance, I’d hate to look back and say I sacrificed it for partying.
[Translation: Unlike Dina Lohan, my mamá would kick my ass.]

GLAMOUR: Have you ever felt limited by your status as a Latina?
[Translation: Have you ever felt you should be cleaning someone’s house?]

AF: …[W]hen I came around with Real Women Have Curves…[w]e screened the film all over the world—in Jewish communities, black communities, Greek communities, German communities— and people across the board said, “That’s my family.”
[Translation: Fat people rule the world.]

GLAMOUR: So do you think Hollywood is moving away from the tall, skinny blond as the actress ideal?
[Translation: Should we be frightened?]

AF: At the end of the day, studios are learning there is a market out there that doesn’t necessarily want to go with predictable choices.
[Translation: No.]
GLAMOUR: Do you still pinch pennies out of habit?
[Translation: Are you the first in your family not to live on welfare?]

AF: My first big, extravagant purchase was a convertible BMW […] but a month after I bought it I was biting my nails, waiting for my tax refund to arrive. Eventually I thought, What’s the point? I just need something to get me from A to B. So I traded in my BMW for a Toyota. But I’ll spend any amount of money on tickets to a show I want to see. This weekend I’m going to New York City with my boyfriend to see Patti LuPone in Gypsy, my favorite musical ever!
[Translation: Like many Latina women, I’m uncomfortable with treating myself. On a side note, my boyfriend could be gay.]

GLAMOUR: How do you feel about being the newest spokeswoman for curvy figures in Hollywood?
[Translation: How do you feel about being fat?]

AF: I’m a size 6 or 8, which is totally normal.
[Translation: Bitch, get some perspective.]
GLAMOUR: Did you ever go through a Betty-like awkward stage?
[Translation: You grew up wearing a serape, right?]

AF: I never wore braces, but I did wear retainers.
[Translation: No more than any other White girl.]
AF: But the most awkward stage I went through has to be my freshman year of college: I had really frizzy hair [and] that extra freshman 15
[Translation: And I went to college, Esa.]

GLAMOUR:Do you have any leftover body insecurities?
[Translation: You’re not thinking of STAYING this size, are you?]
AF: Totally. I never liked my legs and I can’t remember the last time I wore a bathing suit in public.
[Translation: Another year of this success and I’ll make Nicole Richie look like Carnie Wilson.]

http://guanabee.com/2007/09/glamour-asks-what-its-like-to.php


No comments: